Area Faces High Winds, Floods Friday
National Weather Service says winds, rain and snow melt could cause flooding.
The National Weather Service has issued a high wind warning and a flood watch for the surrounding area.
A low pressure system is expected to move through the region with periods of moderate to heavy rain and strong winds.
The high wind warning is in effect from 2 p.m. to midnight on Friday.
There could be locally damaging west to northwest winds sustained at 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 60 mph. The Weather Service said to look for winds to drop off quickly after midnight.
Widespread power outages are possible. Downed trees and limbs may damage structures and vehicles. The wind could also make driving difficult especially on bridges and overpasses.
The flood watch is in effect from Friday afternoon through Saturday morning.
Rainfall amounts of one or two inches are possible during the watch period, with the heaviest rain falling from Friday’s pre-dawn through mid-afternoon hours.
Flooding is not expected along the Delaware, but is more probable along smaller creeks and streams and in areas of poor drainage where the hydrologic response is always greater. Snowmelt and thunderstorms could also add to the flood threat.
According to the Weather Service, those living in areas prone to flooding should be prepared to take action should flooding develop.
Here’s the local forecast:
- Tonight: Rain, mainly after 7 p.m. Low around 38. South wind between 3 and 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
- Friday: Rain, with thunderstorms also possible after 4 p.m. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. High near 58. Windy, with a southeast wind 9 to 12 mph becoming west between 25 and 28 mph. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100 percent. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.
- Friday Night: A chance of showers and thunderstorms before 7 p.m. Partly cloudy, with a low around 26. Windy, with a northwest wind 25 to 28 mph decreasing to between 11 and 14 mph. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
- Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 42. North wind between 6 and 9 mph.
- Saturday Night: A chance of rain after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33. Chance of precipitation is 30 percent. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.