No Injuries in Afternoon Dryer Fire
Fire companies from several area departments responded to a fire on Summit Avenue in Lower Southampton on Thursday.
A dryer is to blame for a blaze that damaged the basement and kitchen of a house in the 2000 block of Summit Avenue in the Trevose section of Lower Southampton Thursday afternoon, officials said.
No injuries were reported, but residents were in the house when the dryer fire was reported just before 2 p.m., township Fire Marshal Bill Oettinger said.
Lower Southampton Fire Company Chief Steve Krippel said fire crews arrived to find heavy fire in the basement and smoke throughout the home. The cabinets in the kitchen above the basement were also ablaze.
Firefighters went to work and had the fire extinguished in about 30 minutes, he said.
Crews worked at house, which officials described as cluttered, to remove smoldering items for more than an hour after the blaze.
The chief said fire police were valuable in helping fire apparatus navigate the small and hilly road.
Fire crews from Bensalem, Langhorne and Middletown assisted Lower Southampton crews. The Tri-Hampton Rescue Squad also manned the scene.