A fire destroyed an ambulance undergoing refurbishment and damaged the building that houses Global Emergency Vehicles on Hartel Avenue, near the Bristol Commerce Center, Friday afternoon.
No employees of the business or emergency personnel were injured in the Bristol Township fire, authorities said.
Bristol Township Fire Marshal Kevin Dippolito told Patch the fire ignited as two Global Emergency Vehicle employees welded the undercarriage of an ambulance. Somehow, sparks started a fire in the cab of the vehicle.
By the time the employees noticed the fire, it was too late.
Fire companies from around Levittown - Croydon, Edgely, Fairless Hills, Falls, Levittown No. 2 and Third District - responded to the scene and immediately went into service, authorities said.
“We arrived to heavy smoke pushing out the back of the building,” Edgely Fire Company Deputy Chief Brian Cirard said.
Firefighters were able to put the blaze out in about 25 minutes, the deputy chief said.
The ambulance was destroyed. A portion of the building where the fire was contained to was also damaged, Dippolito said.
Global Emergency Vehicles refurbishes and retrofits ambulances and fire apparatus.