Columbus Day, a nationally recognized federal holiday, falls on Monday, Oct. 8 this year. While it is an opportunity for some to sleep in on a Monday, the holiday itself is also interesting, and a great time to celebrate and shop.
Columbus Day remembers Italian explorer Christopher Columbus’ long journey across the Atlantic Ocean to the “New World." The voyage was victorious when land was first spotted on Oct. 12, 1492.
President Franklin Delano Roosevelt is responsible for making the holiday a federal one in 1937.
- Bristol Township School District
- Bristol Borough School District
- U.S. post offices/mail delivery
- Stock market
- Federal offices
- County Offices
- Many banks are closed, but some are open - call first to check
- Pennsbury Manor
- SEPTA running on normal weekday schedule
- Pennsbury School District
- Neshaminy School District
- Supermarkets and most retail stores, including the Oxford Valley Mall
- Restaurants and bars
- Convenience stores
- Health clubs and gyms